Friday, May 14, 2010

Breakfast Beignets

Yes, another food post, but this needs to be blogged about. I hate the smell of frying food in the house, and that's a good thing. Otherwise, I'd be making fried foods A LOT more, and I would probably weigh A LOT more! But once in awhile I get a longing for something fried. This morning it was Beignets, also known as French Doughnuts. Usually they're made out of a yeast batter, but I also like them yeast free, using a cream puff batter (choux pastry). Natalie loved them. She had a plate full before leaving for seminary. Skip even woke up and had a couple as well. I'll try not to eat the rest before I leave for work.



Easy Yeast Free Beignets

½ cup butter
1 cup water
¼ teaspoon salt
1 cup all-purpose flour
4 eggs
Oil for deep frying
3 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar

In a medium saucepan, melt the butter in the water. Add salt and flour, and stir until a sticky batter is formed. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, until the batter is smooth.

Heat the oil to 375F. Fry mounded teaspoons of dough, several at a time, for about 6 minutes. They are done when they are light, golden brown on each side. Drain them for a few minutes on a clean kitchen towel and serve warm, dusted with the confectioners’ sugar.

Makes about 30 small beignets.

1 comment:

  1. I think you're trying to make US fat! First cupcakes and now beignets!? Just kidding. We've been wanting to try making these ever since watching princess and the the frog, so I'm glad you posted a recipe. I know what we're having for breakfast tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete