Saturday, July 21, 2012

Vacation Part Two - Blaine County, Idaho

Every year in June, my Dad goes to Idaho for a meeting of the MACLAIC corporation, organized by him and his brother and sisters to manage the land they own near Carey Idaho.   It's also serves as a family reunion for those that can be there.  I've always wanted to go, and this year I was able to make it happen.   Dad had space in a time share where Skip and I could stay in Ketchum.   One of the weekend activities was a pot luck picnic at the pavilion they had constructed in Biscuit canyon (part of their property).   I got to see some cousins and aunts I hadn't seen in a long time.   




Skip looking relaxed and happy.   



My brother John's wife Lisa, and their daughter Michelle Condie Mecham. 



One of my favorite places on the planet!   The land here is part of my family because my Grandfather homesteaded here.   His family (Dad, a brother, and five sisters) lived in a cabin near here that's still (barely) standing part of the year in order to have ownership of the land.   The actual home they live in is in Carey at a hot spring where they used to have a "bath" house.  They farmed there and raised livestock.   When I was little, my Dad lived there and raised sheep.   They sold that property, but kept the range land.   Now they lease it to ranchers, and have developed it into a beautiful spot for family camping, picnicking, hiking, shooting, ATV riding, and other activities.



My brother John and I at our mother and sister's grave sites in Carey cemetery.  They both died as a result of a car accident in 1960.  


In Ketchum, where we were staying, there were some beautiful bike trails.   I went running a couple of the mornings we were there.   It was so beautiful!    Both times this black dog followed me and kept me company.








While there, we enjoyed shopping and exploring Ketchum and Sun Valley.   There are several ski slopes in the area, cute shops, and nice restaurants, and gorgeous homes.   One day we went in to town, it was a little rainy and cold.   It turned to hail, then snow, but by the end of the day when we were heading to dinner in Sun Valley, the sun came out!   We stopped in a starbucks/visitor's center for hot chocolate.



It was fun hanging out with John and Lisa and two of their kids.   They live in California, so we don't see them often enough.


John and his son, Kyle playing checkers in a beautiful home furnishing store.   (A lot of "cowboy" style furnishings and decor.)






The whole group had dinner at the Sun Valley resort.   The restaurant was right next to the skating rink.   I can remember seeing skating competitions here on TV.   Along the walls of the resort they have pictures of several famous athletes and celebrities that have stayed there.


Some of my relatives at dinner.


Dad, Mom, John, Kyle, and Michelle:


We ate at a table with my aunt Lillie, and (pictured below) my aunt Ivie Babbel and two of her daughters, Poiette Babbel Lang
 and Sylvia Babbel.



On Sunday evening we took a drive a little farther north into the mountains for some beautiful scenery.




I was so thankful I could take this trip and spend some time in Idaho with my Dad and other family members who love this part of the country as I do.







No comments:

Post a Comment